Pigeon Tales

November 6, 2012

The wrong Decision

I am very late again with my updates but had some emergencies again which needed all my attention. Here is the next update:

From the

Diary as of 7/4 – 7/9/2012

7/4  No time outside for Rudi again. With the bandage on his toe I really could not let him out. Imagine what could happen if the bandage got loose or even soaked with dirty water – it was raining nearly the whole day anyway. In the evening I removed the bandage and with some more drops of propolison top of the toe I left his toe as it was for the night.

7/5   This early morning when I let Rudi out of his box the toe looked really quite good. I watched him walking on the floor and he was hardly limping. So I let him out for a flying round after he had been so patient all these days, hoping it was the right decision. It was not.

After a few minutes he came back, the toe was heavily bleeding again and I was cursing myself. Checking his toe I realized that it was not that bad. I could stop the bleeding simply using a piece of tissue paper and then I decided to cover his toe with a spray plaster because I did not want to bandage him again. After this was dry I let him run free again (which he could do quite well) but he will have to stay inside for a few more days until I can be sure that he will not bleed again. We will see how it goes. It was the first time that I was using a spray plaster.

A warning though: although the spray plaster turned out to be the perfect protection in the end be aware that it stings when sprayed on an open wound. The pain subsides quickly but your patient will have a very uncomfortable moment and you have to hold him tight so that he cannot move. The plaster spray must be dry before you let him go. Also be sure that you cover every part of his body that may not be contaminated with the spray because it leaves a kind of plastic film on the sprayed part. This would be very bad for the plumage. When dry that spray can be removed with pure alcohol if necessary. The plaster will last for about 4 days – then it will work off by itself. Be sure not to spray highly infected wounds or those which are heavily bleeding.

In Rudi’s case it simply helped to protect the tip of his toe, where the new nail was supposed to come out, from any dirt and from getting wet. I simply wanted the crust that had formed around the tip to last as long as possible as it was a natural protection from further injury.

7/6   Rudi is doing very well. He is running around and I have seen no limping and no bleeding.

7/7   Rudi’s foot seems to be on the mend. We will see how this is going on. I leave it completely alone but am ready to take action if I see something wrong.

7/9   Everything as usual. The rest of the gang is happy. There was something sweet happening while Jimi came in to get his breakfast: Pina, as curious as she always is, jumped on the table where Jimi always gets his breakfast from, and wanted to have a little “chat” with her uncle…



1 Comment »

  1. Hi Petra,

    I have been reading your beautiful stories for the last few days, thanks for doing what you do!

    I’m writing to you as I need some help with my feral pigeons and you seem to have so much experience. I live in Sydney, Australia in a tiny studio unit with a tiny balcony and have a little feral flock of 11 pigeons. They don’t live or nest in my balcony as it’s too exposed and very small. I feed them inside my unit and they can walk wherever they want. I’ve had this little set up for the last 6 years.

    The other day I had my first case of pmv, my little girl Sake, she was very sick and she was put to sleep as I don’t have the facilities for her isolation and treatment. This was the first case of pmv in a feral pigeon in the state of NSW and it had to be reported to the relevant department in the Government, so it’s big news. Pmv entered Australia at the beginning of the year and it has been spreading around, it’s terrible.
    I’m very worried about the rest of my group and was wondering if you could give me some feed back. I’m feeling devastated as I feel like there isn’t much that I can do for my birds, my place would be totally contaminated and they would all have been exposed to the virus through Sake. It’s basically to late. I’m watching them very closely and hoping for a miracle because having to take my little babies one at a time to be put to sleep will be horrendous.
    I notice that your little guys seem to have free range around your place as mine do, how do you deal with this? I feel that the only thing I can do is hope they have the immunity to cope with it, decontamination seems impossible, the virus would be everywhere!
    Any feedback you could give me would be so appreciated! I’m at a loss at the moment.

    I’ve cried when reading that you have lost one, specially Pete, he reminds me of my first one Bubu.
    All the best with all your little babies and I hope to hear from you sometime.



    Comment by carolina — November 15, 2012 @ 1:28 am | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: