Pigeon Tales

January 16, 2012

Poor Lucky is really sick and Things are getting worse!

From the

Diary as of 10/7 – 10/15/2011

10/7   It is unbelievable how peaceful it has become again. Emma and Lucky often sit on the middle of the balustrade and enjoy their peaceful place again.

Gave Emma another portion of Calcivet. Just to make sure there is no potential problem.

10/8   It is cold outside and there are still some hardcores like Charly and QuakQuak who try to sneak inside but I cannot allow this any more as we would probably have the same situation as before. For the sake of Emma’s and Lucky’s peace I cannot do this. It is hard but I do not want Emma to become sick again.

10/9   Weather is cold and unfriendly. Pina went out nevertheless – brave little girl.

Lucky is not feeling well. I think as a result of the stress with our pigeon mob and the cold and wet weather he has a light respiratory infection. I watched him “caughing” several times today and breathing through a slightly open beak – but not constantly. He still seems to be in a quite good mood, was flying around with Emily several times, was eating but not very much. I put him on Spartrix to prevent any outbreak of canker – whether he needs antibiotics we will see tomorrow. I don’t want to medicate him yet. His voice was very subdued today. Poor Lucky – I hope he is better tomorrow. I will watch him closely. His weight was a bit low – 330 gr – I have to watch this also.

Pina started to get off her nest now and then. Gave her a portion of Calcivet today and a small portion of Bene Bac – the remnants from Emily’s treatment. Could not hurt….

10/10   The weather is simply awful – cold, rainy and Lucky is still caughing. I have to take him in tonight so that he gets some warmth. Gave him another Spartrix and Baytril  course in the morning.

10/11   Lucky still has big problems to breathe and has some mucus (clear)  in his mouth – he is really sick. I left him out because Emily was crying for him and I was so worried that she might become sick again too. The weather was quite mild so I thought it would be better. But this was a mistake. When I tried to catch him in the evening he flew away and spend the night outside. This was really not good. I should have known that these birds are not clever enough to know when something is bad for them.  At least he had his medication.

Oh my – this is really getting complicated. I really don’t want Emma to become sick again. And I cannot leave both inside because of Pina and Rudi – they are getting crazy when other pigeons are inside – they are afraid of losing their home. You should have seen Pina and the fits she got during the time Emma was inside. She bit me all the time and attacked my feet whenever I walked near her. She absolutely felt betrayed. Poor girl. It’s not her fault. Unfortunately I don’t have the space to keepmore pigeons inside and separated from one another.

10/12   Things are getting worse: Lucky is really sick now and I am very worried. I discovered a large canker nodule in the middle of his trachea which makes it very difficult for him to breathe.  I deeply hope that the Spartrix is working soon and kills this abominable parasite. I feel very sorry for him. When he came in in the morning that was it – I put him immediately in a hospital box and put a warm water bottle beneath the box.

He is on Spartrix #4 and Baytril #3. In the evening his condition became worse and I started to really fear for his life. He was caughing all the time, trying to get rid of that lump in his trachea. I decided to try to get hold of the darn thing with a disinfected tweezers but did not succeed besides putting the poor bird even more under stress. What a shitty birthday this was for me!!!

10/13  This morning I weighed Lucky – he had lost some more weight: now on 310 gr. Not too worrying yet but not good either. No change in his condition – he was caughing terribly.

10/14   I am very worried about Lucky as he is still fighting very much to get rid of that nodule in his trachea which blocks his breathing. I am so sad that he is suffering so much. I gave him the first portion of Flagyl today because the Spartrix apparently wasn’t enough to solve the problem. I don’t know what to do any more. He is caughing and wheezing all the time and breathing still with an open beak. Yesterday it looked like as if it was getting better but today the poor bird was fighting terribly again. Even feeding him peas did not work. He hardly got any air – so I stopped and tubefed him again. It is awful.

This evening he was so miserable that I decided to try to remove at least part of that lump in his trachea with a disinfected tweezers and a large needle. I managed to remove at least part of the lump without any bleeding. He is still breathing heavily but has stopped to caugh all the time. What a stress for the poor bird. He breathes a bit more calm now but still with an open beak. I hope he will find some sleep tonight. The bird really needs some relaxing. Will be a disturbing night again. I really don’t know what to do any more besides praying and hoping.

10/15  Early in the morning I decided to undertake a second little “operation” after the poor bird had a terrible night again where I had the feeling he would not make it much longer. Either he would suffocate or his little heart would not be able to bear this stress any more. I had to do something even with the risk of some bleeding. Every hour when I checked on him it was the same picture: his back was bent like that of a cat to make it a bit easier for himself to breathe and cramps from the caughing going through the whole body. How can a bird hang on through this?

We did the same thing as yesterday – with a desinfected needle I was able to remove the largest lump in his trachea – it came off and Lucky stopped caughing – HE COULD BREATHE AGAIN AND HIS TRACHEA SEEMED TO BE FREE – at least free from larger lumps. You should have seen the change of his look after a few minutes: from total panicking he suddenly looked relaxed and nearly happy.

The rest was clear. We tubefed him, he got his Baytril and finally he could perch and get some rest. This afternoon I gave him his second portion of Flagyl. He even grumbled a bit when I took him out of his box. What a bird and what a fighter!!! Imagine – he hasn’t really slept since last Sunday, all his energy went into trying to get some air. Thank heaven we managed that he did not lose much more weight because this would have been even worse.

This was truly the worst case of canker I have been faced with a bird. And the most resistant.  Tomorrow I will give him the last Baytril and then start with the probiotics and calcium.
Poor Emma has to hold on still – alone on the balcony. If things go well now, she might have her Lucky back by the end of next week if it is dry outside.

I think tonight we both, Lucky and I, can sleep happily again, knowing that the worst is over. Oh my – what a terrible week.

Here are some pics: one is one of the canker nodules that I pulled out of his trachea and the other one is Lucky after the final “operation”:

How cute is this????



1 Comment »

  1. Hi There,

    I happened to come across your page because I was searching for ‘pigeon breath through mouth’.

    I picked up a pigeon with a long beak just like Lucky. She was on the ground, on her back, struggled with one of her wings as a magpie was approaching. I was her struggling that caught my eyes. I took her straight to the vet and he put a bandage on her injured foot.

    I took her home and gave her a mixture of half egg york + one crushed biscuit + 15ml of warm milk, into a liquid paste. I tube fed her 15ml altogether with about 2ml fresh water. She swallowed everything. The reason I kept feeding her one tube after another (5 tubes of 3ml altogether) was because her head was up with her mouth kept opening and closing, and I thought she was hungry and wanted more. But at the end of the 5th tube, I thought the reason she could swallow everything given to her was because I was FORCING the food down her mouth. So I stopped. The poor bird looks so fragile and very weak.

    I washed her and dried her with a hair dryer, then put some warm clothes on her body and put her in a box, covered the box with a clothing. I checked her half hour later, then an hour later, she was breathing slowly with her beak, eyes closed of course.

    The next morning, she was gone. I was devastated. There was some liquid discharges from her mouth and in the box immediately around her beak. It looked like the discharge occurred throughout the night, non-stop. Poor bird! Did I feed her too much? She wasn’t breathing like that when I picked her up. There was absolutely no poos in the morning.

    The vet asked me to bring her back the week after for a check up. So he must have thought the bird had a very high chance of survival.

    Please could you kindly let me know whether eating too much can cause difficulty with breathing and death? How much should I have given her? More importantly, how do I know when to stop feeding because the bird has had enough?

    Any advice would be very much appreciated as I do intend to pick up and care for birds that have fallen on to the ground, injured or just too old to fly. The first one I picked up was just too old to fly, she was standing near me and did not move. I bent down to take off a piece of food on her beak and on her foot. She did not move. So I picked her up with both hands – she was as light as a feather! I could tell that she hadn’t groomed her body for ages. I took her home, washed her and tried to feed her with corn. But she would not open her mouth. The next morning, she was still alive. Again, I tried to feed – but still she did not want to open her mouth. She could stand up and flapped her wings. She did flap her wings a few times when I tried to feed her. So I just left the boiled corn, cooked brown rice and some water with garlic for her before I went to work.

    I rushed home from work almost 1 hour earlier than usual to find she was dead, with eyes still open. I cried so much as soon as I saw her dead body with her head toward the food container. I took her to the vet and found out that she died probably just over 1 hour before I got home. I am still crying as I am typing here.

    Now the second bird I picked up (died of breathing through the mouth) also died the next day, but much sooner than the first one.

    I am just hoping that I will be able to take care of them properly next time. So any advice would be grateful, please.

    Thank you.


    Comment by jenny — April 25, 2014 @ 12:28 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: